ALSERepository of Iași University of Life Sciences, ROMANIA

LCA method - Tool for food production evaluation

Show simple item record

dc.contributor.author Jelínková, Zuzana
dc.contributor.author Moudrý, Jan
dc.contributor.author Moudrý Sr., Jan
dc.contributor.author Bernas, Jaroslav
dc.contributor.author Kopecký, Marek
dc.contributor.author Konvalina, Petr
dc.date.accessioned 2022-02-22T07:34:35Z
dc.date.available 2022-02-22T07:34:35Z
dc.date.issued 2014
dc.identifier.citation Jelínková, Zuzana, Jan Moudrý, Jan Moudrý Sr., Jaroslav Bernas, Marek Kopecký, Petr Konvalina. 2014. "LCA method - Tool for food production evaluation". Lucrări Ştiinţifice USAMV - Iaşi Seria Agronomie 57(1): 23-27.
dc.identifier.uri https://repository.uaiasi.ro/xmlui/handle/20.500.12811/2113
dc.description.abstract Food is one of the basic human physiological needs which cannot be substitute in any way or by anything. Like every human activity, also the food production has impact on the environment. In particular, people from developed countries begin to be interested in the environmental impacts caused by satisfying their needs. For the environmentally friendly selection, they need to know about these impacts. One of the methodological tools providing such information is the Life Cycle Assessment - LCA. LCA is a method for assessment of product environmental impacts during its entire life cycle. The results can be used to identify hot spots during the cycle and thus, to define possibilities for improving product environmental profile, to inform key persons and to find the related marketing mark. In addition to other benefits, we can use the LCA to carry out comparative studies that means comparing alternative products that serve the same purpose. Food production is composed of an agricultural phase, a processing phase and a trade phase. In our studies within the SUKI - Sustainable Kitchen project, the aim was to compare approximately 20 kinds of most commonly used foods aiming to the public catering facilities in terms of GHG emission load. Alternatives were cultivation methods - organic/conventional in the agricultural phase, processed/unprocessed in the processing phase and imported/regional and storage/fresh in the trade phase. Project results confirm the general assumption about the less emission load of unprocessed, fresh and regional products. For example, production of one kilogram of chips produces 11 times more emissions than the production of one kilogram of raw potatoes. Storage of tomatoes in cooling boxes for 7 days causes up to 40% of total emissions. Remaining 60% go to agriculture and transport. Regarding the agricultural phase evaluation, we cannot clearly state that products from organic farming produce less emissions. Among 11 evaluated agricultural products, 8 organic products go better as compared to only 3 conventional ones. Regarding the total sum, the situation is more complicated. Among 22 evaluated foods, organic food goes better in 11 cases as well as the conventional food. This situation is mainly caused by a lack of processing capacity for organic products resulting into too long transport distances. en_US
dc.language.iso en en_US
dc.publisher “Ion Ionescu de la Brad” University of Agricultural Sciences and Veterinary Medicine, Iaşi en_US
dc.subject comparative LCA en_US
dc.subject food en_US
dc.subject organic/conventional production en_US
dc.title LCA method - Tool for food production evaluation en_US
dc.type Article en_US
dc.publicationName Lucrări Ştiinţifice USAMV - Iaşi Seria Agronomie
dc.volume 57
dc.issue 1
dc.publicationDate 2014
dc.startingPage 23
dc.endingPage 27
dc.identifier.eissn 2069-6727


Files in this item

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record